Friday, August 20, 2010

Read, Laugh, Cry

A couple of weeks ago I read the book Eat, Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.  I realize I'm late to the party on this one.  It's been on my list of books to read for a while now.  (BTW, I keep a LOT of lists.) I just hadn't purchased it yet.  Anyway, I was in Walmart perusing the book section when I noticed there was only one copy left with the original cover. All the rest had the movie poster.  I hate that.  I refuse to buy a book that has a picture from the movie on the cover instead of the original cover art.  I can't say why exactly, I just hate it when they do that.  I'm sure they sell more copies that way, but it really bugs me.  So I snatched up the last one with the pasta, the prayer beads and the exotic flowers.

I read it in a couple of days.  To say I loved this book would be a gross mis-understatement. Maybe it was because I wasn't expecting to enjoy it so much.  Maybe it's because I'm a nearly middle-aged women  sorely in need of a vacation I don't know, I just loved it.   The way Ms.Gilbert writes really drew me into the story.  It was hard to put down, I had to know what she discovered  next. It made me want to take off for an ashram in India for six weeks, meditate and not speak to anyone. To go to Italy and marvel at the art and architecture and study with a spiritualist in Bali (or maybe just sit on a beach).  I was really moved by Ms. Gilbert' journey.

You'd think that after loving it so much I'd be rushing out to see the movie the first chance I got, right? No way!  It's been my experience that movies rarely do a book justice and books that are dear to my heart are forever spoiled after Hollywood gets their hands on them.  There are a few exceptions to this observation, but that's another blog entry.  The other problem is, and I'm ducking under the table here, they put Julia Roberts in the lead role.  Wait! Before you throw that at me, hear me out!  I love America's Sweetheart as much as the next person, I really do! Mystic Pizza, Notting Hill, Erin Brockovich, Steel Magnolia's, Something To Talk About I love those movies! I just wish they had cast someone less famous in Eat, Pray Love.  Personally, I just think it is too distracting.  I think the star of the movie should be the story, the journey, not the actual star.

It's a wonderful story.  If you haven't had the chance to read this book yet, I highly recommend that you do, you won't be sorry. 

See ya later.  xxMeg





.

No comments:

Post a Comment